When deleting a Gmail account, you have two choices. You may choose to only remove your Gmail service, or your complete Google account will be terminated at the same time. The second option also removes your activity log and other information from any and all Google services and applications you use, including Google Maps and Google Drive. In this piece, we break out the two distinct scenarios.
It is only possible to delete the Gmail account and continue using other Google services. So, if you want to continue using your Google account in the future but want to delete your Gmail account, read our step-by-step instructions. But if you want to delete your Google account, follow the next instructions.
Note: If you want to delete the Gmail address but keep your Google account, you will need to set up an alternative email address on Google. This is always required to sign in to Google.
How to delete the Gmail account and keep the Google account
- Go to the Google.com services page. Confirm your identity and click “Next.”
- Go to the trash can icon to delete the Gmail service.
If you have not yet set up an email address, Google will ask you here which email address you want to continue using Google with. Enter the email address you want to receive confirmation emails from.
Note: This address must not be a Gmail address.
Once you receive the confirmation email, just confirm it.
How to delete the Gmail account and Google Account at the same time
- Sign in to Gmail and go to the profile section in the top right corner. Then open the “Manage your Google Account” page.
- In the left section, click on “Data & privacy”. On the page that opens, scroll down and enter the “Delete your Google Account” section.
- The last step will summarize which services and content will be deleted. Then check the bottom two boxes and finally click on “Delete account”.